Guangzhou's Savior Church will hold a worship and praise meeting and a retreat to mark its 100-year history and the 34th anniversary of its reopening.
Originally established by the Church of England, the Christian Church of Our Savior is located on 184 Wanfu Road, Yuexiu District.
Rev. Cheng Sau Ting Peter, senior pastor of the Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui Crown of Thorns' Church will be invited to preach sermons about Christ.
In 1903, Mo Zengshou, from one of the first groups of Chinese Bishops, was appointed to start his pastoral work in Guangzhou. With a floor area of 1,600 square meters (0.39 acres), Savior Church was built in 1919 and dedicated in 1921.
In 1960, several local churches from different denominations including Baptists, Methodists, the Assemblies of God, and the Seventh-day Adventists amalgamated into the church. When the Cultural Revolution started in 1966, church activities were forced to cease and church buildings were occupied by external organizations. From 1985 onward, the Savior Church, lead by Pastor Li Dehui, resumed its activities and was the fifth Protestant church in Guangzhou to open.
- Translated by Karen Luo