On April 13 and 14, 2019, Guangzhou's Savior Church held celebrations to mark its 100-year history and the 34th anniversary of its reopening, according to China Christian Council (CCC) and Three-Self Patriotic Movement (TSPM).
In 1911, Rev. Mo Shouzeng from the Hong Kong Anglican Church, purchased the current land of the century-old church. After years' fundraising, with a floor area of 1,600 square meters (0.39 acres), Savior Church was built in 1919 and dedicated in 1921.
In 1960, several local churches from different denominations including Baptists, Methodists, the Assemblies of God, and the Seventh-day Adventists amalgamated into the church. When the Great Cultural Revolution started in 1966, church activities were forced to cease and church buildings were occupied by external organizations. From 1985 onward, the Savior Church, lead by Pastor Li Dehui, resumed its activities and was the fifth Protestant church in Guangzhou to open.
The celebrations included worship and praise in which performances such as gospel songs in Cantonese, western operas, and praise dances were given.
Revd Cheng Sau Ting Peter from Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui Crown of Thorns Church, was the main speaker for the retreat conducted in the following day. The message recalled the church and believers' fervor for the gospel and the church's responsibility for society and state.
- Translated by Karen Luo