Two Churches in Small Town
By CCD contributor: Lin Muli , June 20, 2019 14:06 PM
There is a small town, called Nansheng, locating in Pinghe county, Fujian province with a population of about ten thousand people. The town has two churches of different denominations, one being the Nansheng Protestant Church and the other the Real Jesus Church.
The Protestant Church has a history of about one hundred years. In February 1848, American Christian Reformed Church brought Christianity to Xiamen, and then to Nansheng town, Pinghe county in 1874.
Before that, the British Presbyterian Church founded Wuzhaiwei Jingai Christian Church, which in 1870 had been affiliated with the China Inland Mission. After that, the Reformed Church and Presbyterian Church were combined to form the "Jingnan Church" in 1883 in order to show the unity between the denominations.
Two generous friends in New Jersey of USA offered money to build Nansheng Church Chapel of about 200 square meters, as well as other buildings including the pastor's residence, etc.
Pastor Lin Wenqu, who originated from Tongan city, came in 1887 and was the first pastor for 11 years. Other pastors and preachers came after 1950.
The church was closed for 28 years from 1951 to 1977, and the chapel was occupied by a sugar mill. In 1978, believers met at various points on Sunday. In 1984, after approval, the meetings were resumed and part of the property of the church was recovered. On March 15, 1985, the first church elders' council was founded, which opened a new page for the Nansheng Church.
In 1992, to celebrate the centenary of the church, the council decided to demolish the first three bungalows of the old church and rebuild a three-story building as a ministry and reception room. On December 8, 1999, the new chapel was completed.
Today, unique scenery has been created with the Nansheng Church and the Nansheng Park opposite each other, brightly reflecting each other across the stream that runs between them.
- Translated by Heirs Han
More from CCD
Zhu'en Church in Zhao county, Shijiazhuang city, Hebei province, held a two-day praise & worship concert.
More than 100 choir members from Daowai Church and its campuses participated in the eight-month-long training course.
The South Station Church Holds the Graduation Ceremony for the Evangelistic Training Course.
To commemorate the centenary of the publication of CUV Bible, a "Hand-written Bible Display" was held at the Chinese Chapel of Canhua Church in Yanji City, Jilin Province.
A brief story of Bishop Manuel Prat in Gulangyu, Xiamen, China
Rev. Dr. William Campbell was a Scottish Presbyterian missionary to Formosa (Qing era Taiwan).
Good Samaritan Fellowship and seminary graduates gave bottles of mineral water and watermelons to transport police, city inspectors and firefighters in Jiangyin.
The church in Penglai, Shandong, held a commemorative activity to recall the contributions of American missionaries' efforts in Chinese Bible translation in the city.
On July 27, 2019, the Yichang International Church of Hubei baptized 26 brothers and sisters.
Growing from 10 believers, the Haikoulu Church in Changchun now has several hundred members.