St. Paul’s Church of Nanjing
By CCD contributor: Paul Wu , September 10, 2019 08:09 AM
Nanjing is one of the core regions of Christianity in China where important Christian organizations such as Nanjing Union Theological Seminary and Amity Printing Factory are located. Among the many beautiful churches in the city, St. Paul's Church is one of the classical buildings.
In 1909, the American Episcopalian missionary G.M.B. Gill came to Nanjing and in the subsequent year started preaching the Gospel in Mafu Street.
In 1912, a small chapel was built on land purchased by Gill and was called "St. Paul's Church". The design was under the supervision of Qi Zhaochang, an architectural engineer from the University of Nanking. The total expense was $12,000 dollars, or 48,000 silver dollars at that time.
In 1922, the Jiangsu Diocese of the Holy Catholic Church in China or the Anglican-Episcopal Province of China funded the demolition of the church and constructed two buildings. The main part of the new building in Gothic style became the Anglican church and retained many Catholic cultural elements.
The new church was 11 meters tall, 34 meters long, and 12.6 meters wide, with a floor area of 485 square meters (0.12 acres) and also had a four-storey bell tower with a height of 18 meters. A smaller chapel was also constructed for small religious activities.
According to the records, the church had a herringbone-style wooden roof. All the windowsills, door pockets, and the caps and crenels of the bell tower were made of polished stones. The lectern, baptismal font, pulpit, altar, handrails, and balusters were also inlaid with the same white stones. The 18.2-meter high bell tower contained a bell two meters in diameter. In the middle part of the tower, there was spiral staircase with more than 40 steps leading to the top.
In 1927, the church was taken over by the Northern Expedition Army who occupied Nanjing and it stopped functioning. The then foreign minister tried to argue for the church, and eventually it was re-opened. As it gradually grew in numbers, St. Paul's became one of the largest churches in Nanjing.
By 1937 when the Japanese army captured Nanjing, some parts of the church were destroyed. However, fortunately, the main part remained intact.
In March 1943, the Japanese military police seized the church. It was not until Imperial Japan surrendered in World War II in 1945 that the Episcopalian church took back the church property. Two pastors cleaned and restored the church.
In 1952, a branch of Three-Self Innovation Promotion Association was established in the church and chaired by Rev. Chen Zemin. On July 28, 1985, the church was re-opened.
Today, it has more than 5,000 members and a weekly Sunday attendance of about 3,000 for the eight services. In 2003, renovations were carried out along with landscaping work.
- Translated by Karen Luo
More from CCD
On September 15, 2019, a new church in Xianshuigu Town, Jinnan District, Tianjin, was dedicated.
The story began with a pastor who led a reviving church in the new era. People called him Rev. Dong.
On September 15, 2019, Shenzhen Shatoujiao Church held the second training program for group leaders.
The social service staff as well as church volunteers of the Jesus Church in Yicheng District, Zaozhuang, Shandong province paid visits to rural nursing homes.
Nanzhan Church of Dongfeng County, Liaoyuan, Jilin province held its fifth fun sports activity.
On September 5, 2019, the sacred music choir of Shenzhen Xiangmihu Church was officially founded.
On September 10, 2019, Nanzhan Church of Dongfeng County, Liaoyuan, Jilin province held a writing training program for its ministry of writing.
On September 7, 2019, the English fellowship of Shenzhen Xiangmihu Church held its first formal gathering.
Youhao Church of Dunhua, Jilin province invited more than 100 "left-behind" seniors to attend a gathering for the traditional Mid-autumn Festival.
The number of registered Christians in Hongkou District had skyrocketed from more than 300 to about 14,000 since the reopening of the Methodist church.