Five Problems in China’s Religious Philanthropy, Says Professor
By Yi Yang, December 17, 2015 03:12 AM
Chen Youhua, the professor of School of Social and Behavioral Sciences of Nanjing University, says that there are four advantages of carrying out philanthropy in the religious world in China. Meanwhile, he point outs that currently the religious philanthropy in China is in the low level overall and five problems exist:
1. Small in scale and the low level of participation. Chen says it is rare to see the religious charity activity in the social charity campaigns.
2. Lack of internal power and persistence. He says that it's easy for religious people to donate impulsively while it turns to be hard to donate regularly and even engage in the charity full-time. Besides, some religions don't explain why to carry out charitable events well in the doctrines or canons. It's unclear in both theory and practice. So it's difficult to carry out charitable activities in the religious world.
3. Unstandardized activities. Some religious people and believers only have enthusiasm but insufficient consciousness that there is no clear distinction between social service and evangelism. Besides, the repeated construction and waste of resources exist in some ineffective programs to some extent.
4. Wrong motives. He shares that some religious organizations seek fame and wealth through the charity. Religions face the test in the background of marketization in China. It is a greater challenge that how the religions in the world prevent themselves from transforming into the religion of money.
5. Management in disorder. This mainly means that commercial atmosphere exists more than enough in religious places but there are short of charitable events.Many Buddhist abbots in the temple drive BMW or Benz cars. Chen hopes the religious world remains a pure land in today's world of corruption.
More from CCD
In different places, there are many Christians who, in different ways, are trying to live out the truth of "a kernel of wheat."
A delegation, including the leader of YAPUN, visited a Bible printing facility in China.
Donations to People Hit Hard by “3.21” Explosion.
An Artifacts display by Chinese Catholic artists in Beijing collected from the Vatican.
Mercy Field Home is a children's charity that was established on June 1, 2000, through donations.
The Lisboa Hotel houses within it, at one time, the largest gambling casino in Macau-the Casino Lisboa, which continues to be one of the iconic structures in the city that represents Macau.
From a cognitive point of view, the falsehood of "New Heaven and Earth" is obvious, but why can such obvious heresy still have such a serious impact on Chinese church?
Elder Wang Jianhua, vice-chairman of the Shanghai Three-Self Patriotic Movement and Rev. He Zhihui, in charge of the English fellowship in Hongqiao, received the "Humanitarian Award" of the Shanghai Red Cross.
An account of a modern female Chinese Christian writer, her independence, her truthfulness and practice
Commemorating May Fourth Movement's 100th Anniversary: Christians Today Should Talk Less About Doctrine and More About Practical Issues
In Christianity, overemphasizing doctrine and glazing over issues, especially amongst college students who have just embarked on society, is particularly common and can be misleading to many.