Five Problems in China’s Religious Philanthropy, Says Professor
By Yi Yang, December 17, 2015 03:12 AM
Chen Youhua, the professor of School of Social and Behavioral Sciences of Nanjing University, says that there are four advantages of carrying out philanthropy in the religious world in China. Meanwhile, he point outs that currently the religious philanthropy in China is in the low level overall and five problems exist:
1. Small in scale and the low level of participation. Chen says it is rare to see the religious charity activity in the social charity campaigns.
2. Lack of internal power and persistence. He says that it's easy for religious people to donate impulsively while it turns to be hard to donate regularly and even engage in the charity full-time. Besides, some religions don't explain why to carry out charitable events well in the doctrines or canons. It's unclear in both theory and practice. So it's difficult to carry out charitable activities in the religious world.
3. Unstandardized activities. Some religious people and believers only have enthusiasm but insufficient consciousness that there is no clear distinction between social service and evangelism. Besides, the repeated construction and waste of resources exist in some ineffective programs to some extent.
4. Wrong motives. He shares that some religious organizations seek fame and wealth through the charity. Religions face the test in the background of marketization in China. It is a greater challenge that how the religions in the world prevent themselves from transforming into the religion of money.
5. Management in disorder. This mainly means that commercial atmosphere exists more than enough in religious places but there are short of charitable events.Many Buddhist abbots in the temple drive BMW or Benz cars. Chen hopes the religious world remains a pure land in today's world of corruption.
More from CCD
Urumqi Airport will get an upgrade as part of the Belt and Road Initiative.
China strengthens its campaign against pollution and extends it to solid waste imports.
China Southern has a new direct flight to the West Coast.
Parents, don't be afraid to suck on your child's pacifier.
Here's why Tumblr is not on your Apple devices.
Beijing’s diplomacy continues with talks on South China Sea Code of Conduct.
A Chinese author receives a 10 year sentence for pornographic novel.
Maldives wants out of the free trade agreement it has with China.
Acceptance starts within yourself.
It's ideal for blood flow.