Five Problems in China’s Religious Philanthropy, Says Professor
By Yi Yang, December 17, 2015 03:12 AM
Chen Youhua, the professor of School of Social and Behavioral Sciences of Nanjing University, says that there are four advantages of carrying out philanthropy in the religious world in China. Meanwhile, he point outs that currently the religious philanthropy in China is in the low level overall and five problems exist:
1. Small in scale and the low level of participation. Chen says it is rare to see the religious charity activity in the social charity campaigns.
2. Lack of internal power and persistence. He says that it's easy for religious people to donate impulsively while it turns to be hard to donate regularly and even engage in the charity full-time. Besides, some religions don't explain why to carry out charitable events well in the doctrines or canons. It's unclear in both theory and practice. So it's difficult to carry out charitable activities in the religious world.
3. Unstandardized activities. Some religious people and believers only have enthusiasm but insufficient consciousness that there is no clear distinction between social service and evangelism. Besides, the repeated construction and waste of resources exist in some ineffective programs to some extent.
4. Wrong motives. He shares that some religious organizations seek fame and wealth through the charity. Religions face the test in the background of marketization in China. It is a greater challenge that how the religions in the world prevent themselves from transforming into the religion of money.
5. Management in disorder. This mainly means that commercial atmosphere exists more than enough in religious places but there are short of charitable events.Many Buddhist abbots in the temple drive BMW or Benz cars. Chen hopes the religious world remains a pure land in today's world of corruption.
More from CCD
Air pollution remains a problem in the Yangtze River Delta in a recent report.
Another new campaign is launched by China against trash being brought to the country.
Another group of victims from the priestly abuse scandal in Chile will be meeting the Pope ext month.
National heroes in China are now well-protected, especially from defamation.
Here's what Google did to comply with EU law.
What are these "sonic attacks" happening in China?
Over the years, the Chinese church has actively contributed to environmental protection in China.
China expresses its opinion on the new Malaysian government.
US President Donald Trump cancels the scheduled summit with North Korea
One nun who is well-known in social media is currently criticizing the new instructions nuns have to apply while using social media.