Yuanliang Hospital, Founded by English Presbyterian Mission

By CCD contributor: Lin Muli , August 22, 2018 17:08 PM

Zhangpu Yuanliang Hospital(Provided by Chris White )

In 1854, the English Presbyterian Mission shared the gospel in Zhangpu, Fujian Province. In 1889, it sent doctors here to build Zhangpu Yuanliang Hospital near the Xinluwei Church.

The hospital provided only outpatient service in the early stage and then established an inpatient department. Yuanliang Hospital was provided with medicine and equipment by Zhangzhou Union Hospital and financed by the English Presbyterian Mission. The first president was James M. Howie who was also the chief of the internal medical department. The chief of surgical medical department was Dr. J. Preston Maxwell. They were all doctors from Britain.

In 1900, the hospital started to enrolled trainees of western medicine. Besides treating common diseases, the doctors performed surgeries like appendectomy, hernia repair, amputation and so on. There was a small church in the hospital where pastors prayed for patients and converted them to Christianity.

In 1906, members of Xianquanhui, led by Cai Xi, in Xiantan Village, Zhangpu, attacked and burned down the Xinluwei Church and Yuanliang Hospital for exterminating westerners and their religion and rebuilding a Han Regime to replace the Qing Dynasty ruled by Manchurians.

Thus most of the foreign doctors fled back to Britain while J. Preston Maxwell went back to be the president of Yongchun Hospital in Quanzhou and then left to Beijing to be the chief of obstetrics and gynecology in Peking Union Medical College Hospital and retired in 1936 when he was honored with the title of emeritus professor.

Yuanliang Hospital was rehabilitated one year later and became a branch of Zhangzhou Union Hospital in 1936, and then was nationalized and renamed Zhangpu Hospital in 1952. Now, Zhangpu Hospital is a public comprehensive hospital committed to medical care, education and research of medicine.

According to Zhang Cifu, a member of Puyi Church, Yuanliang Hospital located near the Church, on the right side of which is the Zhangpu Hospital, the successor.

- Translated by Lin Changfeng

Related Article

Must Read

comments powered by Disqus

More from CCD

Theological Professor Shares Centenary Impact of Chinese Union Version Bible

A review of the impact on Chinese Christians by the Union Version Bible and its translation.

Ordinary Christian Plumber Donates Blood Over 23 Year Period

Brother Yang Zhihui, an ordinary plumber, has donated blood totalling more than 80,000 milliliters since 1993.

Five Touching Stories of Christians Committed to Serving Vulnerable Groups

In different places, there are many Christians who, in different ways, are trying to live out the truth of "a kernel of wheat."

Delegation, Including Director General of YAPUN Asia Pacific, Visits Bible Printing Plant

A delegation, including the leader of YAPUN, visited a Bible printing facility in China.

Donations to People Hit Hard by “March 21” Blast

Donations to People Hit Hard by “3.21” Explosion.

Vatican Museum's Collection of Chinese Christian Artifacts on Display in Beijing

An Artifacts display by Chinese Catholic artists in Beijing collected from the Vatican.

Fuzhou Christians Visit Children's Charity Home

Mercy Field Home is a children's charity that was established on June 1, 2000, through donations.

The Irony of the Cross in Macau

The Lisboa Hotel houses within it, at one time, the largest gambling casino in Macau-the Casino Lisboa, which continues to be one of the iconic structures in the city that represents Macau.

Reflection on Cult “New Heaven and Earth” and Situation of Chinese Church

From a cognitive point of view, the falsehood of "New Heaven and Earth" is obvious, but why can such obvious heresy still have such a serious impact on Chinese church?

Shanghai Church Elder, Pastor Win Shanghai Red Cross Humanitarian Award

Elder Wang Jianhua, vice-chairman of the Shanghai Three-Self Patriotic Movement and Rev. He Zhihui, in charge of the English fellowship in Hongqiao, received the "Humanitarian Award" of the Shanghai Red Cross.