A research project was undertaken to study the history of a church located in Guangdong Province, southern China.
According to the Guangzhou CC&TSPM, the sixth lecture series titled "Learning from Church History" organized by Guangzhou CC&TSPM took place at Fangcun Church in Guangzhou on May 30.
During the lecture, Senior Pastor Zhao Lidao recounted the inspiring and community-benefiting deeds of Fangcun Church throughout its history. Additionally, Rev. Zhang Zhengyu delivered a spiritual reflection titled "Mission and Responsibility."
It is noteworthy that Fangcun Church has a history dating back to 1867, with the earliest records tracing its origins to the Youlanmen Church of the Lutheran Church.
It is known that Rev. Henry V. Noyes, a North American Presbyterian missionary, established a Gothic-style church in 1891. Subsequently, the Presbyterian Church of North America established True Light Middle School, Pui Ying Secondary School, Hui'ai Hospital (Brain Hospital), and Ming Sun School for the blind in Fangcun and other places to improve local medical and educational facilities. In 1923, a new church was built on Pingmin Street in Fangcun District, known as Pingmin Church. By 1960, Fangcun Church of the Lutheran Church, Baihedong Church, the gospel boat, and Pingmin Church were merged into one, which was situated in Pingmin Church and later renamed Fangcun Church. After being closed in August 1966, the church reopened in January 1986. Following the expropriation by the government for the construction of a tunnel across the river in 1993, a new building of Fangcun Church was completed and opened on September 5, 1997.
Currently, the church offers Sunday services in Cantonese and Mandarin, as well as prayer meetings, Bible study sessions, and gatherings in various forms.
- Translated by Abigail Wu