On the morning of Nov 16, Nanjing Daosheng Christian Church hosted the new church dedication ceremony and the 100-year commemoration activity. In total, more than 1,000 people attended the ceremony, including leaders of the city Bureau of Ethnic and Religious Affairs, CCC&TSPM, Nanjing Union Theological Seminary, and believers from Nanjing churches.
The church was first built in 1915, and the first pastor was John Magee who set up the International Safety Zone during the Nanjing Massacre to protect the Nanjing people. He also shot film which became evidence of the Japanese Massacre.
According to the National CCC&TSPM, during the dedication ceremony, Pastor Zhang Junhua, chairman of the Three-Self Patriotic Movement Committee in Gulou District, gave the sermon. She cited the verses from Eph 2:12-22 to advise and encourage the fellow workers of Daosheng Church that the brothers and sisters should use Jesus Christ as the rock and work hard to build the fellowship that pleases and glorifies God and benefits man on the foundation of the apostles and prophets.
During the ceremony, they first played the documentary of the centennial Daosheng Church which reflects the history of Daosheng Church from its establishment till now. Then, Pastor Ji Shibiao, vice chairman of Nanjing Christian Three-Self Patriotic Movement Committee, made the "Church Building Reports" which was a brief review of the preparation process of the new church.
The original site of Daosheng Church is currently No. 408 Zhongshan Rd., Gulou District (Nanjing No.12 Middle School). It was founded by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. The name of Daosheng means "The Word overcomes the World" (yidaoshengshi). The first pastor was John Magee.
In 1917, after Priest Shen Zigao graduated from St. John's University at 23, he became the pastor of Nanjing Daosheng Church. The next year he started Yizhi Primary School and was the principle. He and Pastor Magee laid a solid foundation for the education ministry of Nanjing Xiaguan area.
In 1992, the original site of Daosheng Church was listed as Nanjing Cultural Relics Protection Unit. In 2002, in memory of the chivalrous deed of Pastor John Magee, with the permission of Nanjing Xiaguan District People's Government, the original site was named John Magee Library. In Dec 2008, with the approval and allocation of land by the government, the new Daosheng Church laid its foundation. In April 2009, the new church construction started and was completed after six years. The building area is more than 3,000 square meters and it can hold over 1,000 people for services at the same time.
Translated By: Grace Hubl