A church in Guangdong Province, on the southeast coast of China, held a ceremonial laying of the cornerstone for expansion.
Panyu Church in Guangzhou conducted the ceremony at the existing site of Shiqiao Church on July 30, Guangzhou CC&TSPM reported.
The ceremony commenced with the performance by the choir of Dongshan Church, followed by a project brief given by Rev. Lin Bingsheng, president of the Guangzhou CC and senior pastor of Shiqiao Church. Then the leaders of Guangdong TSPM and the Ethnic and Religious Affairs Bureaus of Guangzhou and Panyu District delivered speeches respectively. After the ceremony, Rev. Guo Yun, chairman of the Guangzhou TSPM, expressed his appreciation and determination to strictly control the project quality with a high level of responsibility.
Founded in 1920, Shiqiao Church is the only church in the Panyu District. In order to better meet the religious needs of the believers in the southern area of Guangzhou, Guangzhou TSPM would expand the former Shiqiao church into Panyu church. With a construction area of 7,704 square meters (1.9 acres), the new church was intended to be multi-functional and ecological with a new era of Chinese Christian features, including a multi-story tower, a pavilion, a colonnade, and an over-water gazebo.
The total fundraising target for building the church is 60 million yuan. The project is expected to take two years.
- Translated by Stella He