Century-old Liaoyang Church in Liaoning held a preview exhibition of its history on May 12, welcoming the first batch of church staff to visit.
The retrospective exhibition displayed more than 100 pictures of the 133-year development of the church from 1888 to the present.
Besides the pictures of Charity Hospital founded in 1887 and Pastor James Lee from Scotland who sacrificed his life to build the church, there were also photos of a library, the church’s pastoral staff in 1898 and a church middle school established in 1904 by Liaoyang Church, covering an area of 9,000 square meters (2.22 acre).
In 1887, the British doctor James Allan Wylie purchased the Daming Temple in Dongliudao Street to build Charity Hospital and Church of Scotland Women’s Hospital, providing free treatment and medicine. Charity Hospital was listed as the ninth batch of provincial-level cultural relics protection units in Liaoning Province in 2014. Church of Scotland Women’s Hospital has been completely changed, except for the brand of "Unrated Cultural Relics Protection Unit" in Baita District, Liaoyang.
(The original article is published by the Gospel Times.)
- Translated by Abigail Wu